Tuesday, August 11, 2015

BAKERS & BARISTAS





For most, traveling to Europe from the U.S., and back in one day isn't realistic. If you fall under the "most" category, I have great news for you; you can enjoy a genuine taste of Europe right in Washington D.C. Bakers and Baristas derives its flavors and inspiration from Vienna coffee houses. This corner cafe in Penn Quarter was named D.C.'s number one must-try bakery by Zagat. From the locally sourced coffee and espresso, to the pastries created by a noted pastry chef, Bakers and Baristas surely did not disappoint. 



Inside the glass case next to the counter are selective options that highlight some of Austria's most celebrated flavors; specialty danishes, Viennese cookies and specialty desserts, brioche, and sandwiches made on house made bread...need I say more? To make my decision on what to get harder, the mouthwatering sweets that are featured on the menu were developed by the well regarded pastry chef of The Blue Duck Tavern, Naomi Gallego. 







Given my sweet tooth and love of fresh summer fruit, I chose a raspberry tart. The tart had a buttery crust that was filled with cream and topped with perfect raspberries that balanced the sweet, creamy bottom. I loved everything about this tart and fulfilled my mid-day sugar fix.





To drink I tried the einspänner, which derives from 19th century Vienna, and translates to "one horse carriage" in English. The drink is simply a double shot of espresso topped with a dollop of whipped cream. The espresso shots give a blunt flavor, with a little creaminess from the whipped cream. If you love sugary coffee drinks, then this is not for you. However if you love bold, dark roast coffee, then this might be something to try if you're in the mood for a small caffeinated treat. 











My "travel companion", Jessica, whom I had spend the day with sight seeing in Washington, D.C., tried a melange. The melange is a typical Viennese coffee specialty, that is made with a small espresso, steamed milk and milk froth. This drink much reminded me of a latte and had a less robust flavor than the einspänner. 












To eat Jessica tried the butterkuchen, which means butter cake in English. Unlike most American cakes, the butterkuchen had a light, airy dough that melted in your mouth when you took a bite (it was delicious), sweet cream filled the cake and was topped with crunchy, toasted almonds. 





I love trying new places, and the craze for this place was definitely justified due to the espresso, pastries, and special ambiance. However, the only thing that was a little off-putting was the music. During my time there the cafe was playing 'Fergalicious' by Fergie and 'Pump It' by the Black Eyed Peas. The music felt forced and didn't suit the young man reading on the steps in front of me (pictured below) or the woman at a table on her computer to my right. Aside from the change in Pandora or Spotify playlist, this place successfully brought me to and from Europe within one day. 




~XOXO Katherine



No comments:

Post a Comment