Friday, August 7, 2015

ROWSTER


The idea of a vacation ending is bittersweet; I'm always bitter because I've had so much fun exploring a new place and spending time with family and/or friends. However at the same time, I have a sense of urgency to get back and be productive with a fresh perspective. My quick trip to Grand Rapids, Michigan for my mom's birthday was extremely fun and much needed. For our "last hurrah" before we headed back to Ann Arbor, we stopped at a local favorite, called Rowster.






What makes Rowster so unique, is that the owners have such a strong love for coffee and ensure the highest quality, so much so that they started a kickstarter campaign to develop their own brand of coffee. Their brand, Regular Coffee, is locally roasted and manufactured, as well as being affordable to smaller coffee shops. This was about two years ago, and now Regular Coffee is a well known name throughout Michigan. 





Along the wall is an extended wooden booth with tables that easily combine for large groups or studying. **insider secret: outlets are between the back and the seat of the booth on the wall** Featured on the wall, above the booth, is a project from a local artist that is titled 'Fifty States'. Each state is represented on the wall and has an original design that encompasses a significant aspect about that state. Each and every one of the state designs were thoughtful and added to the atmosphere within the shop. Ending our vacation at a place that generates and thrives off of an entrepreneurial spirit left me feeling more sweet than bitter.



Rowster's menu is simple, with the traditional coffee and specialty espresso drinks. I got an almond milk latte (top of the page), which had the perfect amount of foam and a heart drawn in it :). At the counter they also had fresh pastires that all looked delicious. One pastry in particular caught my eye, which was an almond croissant. I'm not sure if my eyes have taste-buds, but I certainly picked a winner. The croissant was flakey and had buttery, soft dough that melted in your mouth. In the middle was a sweet almond paste, similar to a pecan pie filling, only with almonds. This sweet treat was the perfect end to my quick weekend getaway (because calories don't count on vacation. right?) 

~XOXO Katherine

1 comment: