Wednesday, August 5, 2015

TERRA




One of my favorite things about summer is vacationing. Whether it be a quick weekend getaway or a few weeks abroad, it's always nice to have a change in scenery. This past weekend was my mother's birthday (August 2nd) and since I've been in Washington D.C. all summer, I flew back to Michigan for a quick getaway. Despite popular belief, Michigan has more to offer than just farm land and tundra-like weather. The summer is actually one of the best times to visit Michigan if you're looking for somewhere new to explore. My mother and I chose to go to Grand Rapids because it has a city atmosphere, yet is a close car ride to Lake Michigan. 





Our first morning there we went to brunch at a restaurant called Terra, which was recommended to us by multiple people and certainly did not disappoint. Terra serves authentic, artisanal fare, so their menu changes frequently based on availability. The menu has standard brunch bites and cocktails. Additionally, Terra is an extremely sensitive menu for those who have any allergies or dietary restrictions. The menu notes items that are vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and even dairy free. 




My mom and I chose to split the breakfast pizza, which our waitress said is hands down the most popular item on their brunch menu. Terra's noteworthy woodfire pizzas are glazed with Terra's homemade red sauce and topped with mozzarella. The breakfast pizza has smoked, crispy bacon, potatoes and a sunny side up egg (my mom and I got two, so we could each have our own :)). To top it off, the pizza is drizzled with brown butter hollandaise, and my mom added jalapeños on her side and I added chorizo for a little extra spice. This pizza was served on a traditional wooden platter and had gooey mozzarella cheese melting off of it. Between the smokey meats and sweet brown butter hollandaise sauce, this pizza is the ultimate savory success. 






Terra was so good that my mom and I went back the next morning to split a pastry. When we got there on Sunday morning our waitress sold us on the caramel apple sticky bun, that had just come out of the oven (who could pass up a fresh pastry?). This sweet treat was the perfect balance with sticky brown sugar caramel and warm cinnamon dough that melted in your mouth. 







Terra is certainly not your average café  breakfast, but is definitely worth trying for its unique farm-to-table experience. Plus who doesn't love fresh pizza for breakfast? 


~ XOXO Katherine


P.S. Cruise with me by subscribing at the bottom of the page :)

No comments:

Post a Comment